Thursday 28 August 2014

WOW! Let’s Celebrate; Comics, Graphic Novels and Magazines! Stew Magazine 3D Review; Illustrator Interview with Grace Sandford


Grace has a degree in Illustration from The University of Lincoln and is a working illustrator having worked for SkyHorse Publishing, Palmer Hargreaves, Paper and Apparel in addition to be one of the illustrators of Stew magazine.


What was your favourite children’s book as a child?

That's a really tough question! I loved loads of children's books. I remember loving Each Peach Pear Plum by Janet and Alan Ahlberg as a child. The detail in each spread was immense and as a child I loved being able to spot clues to the narrative in a busy scene, it makes you feel like you're helping tell the story!



What was your favourite children’s magazine/comic/annual as a child?

I used to love reading the Beano, however, I did not read that many comics or magazines as a child. (I would have loved to have read Stew magazine as a child!)

What is your favourite children’s book as an adult?

That's an even tougher question! This changes all the time. I think it will probably have to be The Very Hungry Caterpillar. The use of colour along with texture and collage is stunning and it takes a lot of hard work and creativity to make a deceptively simple story.



Do you read comics/graphic novels as an adult? If so which is your favourite?

I read a lot of manga as a teenage when manga became really popular in Western countries. I still read the Sailor Moon mangas from time to time.


What do you think makes children’s books so inspirational?

Children's books are a doorway into life for a child. You remember a huge amount from children's books as an adult and that influence is incredible. Children not only learn to read but they learn about friendships, morals and life issues in worlds that should totally exist!

Did you always want to be an illustrator?

I've always wanted a career in art. I didn't know what an illustrator necessarily was until I got a bit older. For a long time I wanted to be an animator for Disney.


How did you become an illustrator?

I've been drawing every day for as long as I can remember and I went to University to study Illustration. Understanding what path in Illustration I wanted to take, working really, really hard, and being nice to everyone has made me an illustrator. However, I only graduated a year ago and although i'm lucky to be doing this well so far, I have a long way to go in my career!

What is it like visualising other people’s characters?

It's wonderful and I prefer it to visualising my own! You can really feel the passion and love that's gone into writing characters.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?